Panos Caribbean highlights gender norms in the Caribbean and their impact by engaging the voices of those most affected by gender issues. We promote social justice through gender empowerment and train journalists about policies and issues that affect gender.
We have worked on issues such as:
- Women’s access to their basic rights through the Conventional on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
- Training women leaders for greater participation in governance – for eg. Basic communication skills for upcoming women leaders
- The rights of men and women involved in sex work
- Gender and HIV with its impact on youth.
Over the next few years we aim to:
- Increase awareness of gender and development issues across the region
- Work with vulnerable or marginalized groups to express their concerns and priorities through a variety of communication approaches
- Improve capacity of media to report on gender and development issues
- Ensure that key development programmes and policies are gender specific